I am very happy with the way this turned out. It was my first project using chalk paint (I made my own--recipe is below.)
This is the BEFORE photo. I had started testing my paint on one drawer when I realized I had not taken any photos of the original chest. You can see how the stained finish is badly in need of refinishing. This photo is before I lightly sanded the entire piece.
Notice the missing brass pull on the top left drawer. It disappeared while I was polishing the pulls. These are antique pulls and very difficult to replace. I have been searching online and have found a few items that might work but none that are an exact match. Makes me very sad. I will have to find a replacement or change all of the pulls. Like I said, it makes me sad.
The arrow is pointing to the missing piece. The rosette and ball are separate on these pulls. Most of the ones online have this as one piece. It is only the ball that is missing. Sad...
This photo more accurately captures the actual color of the chest. Teh latex paint was purchased at Lowe's. I love their Valspar Signature© base paint. It is a paint and primer mix which saves a step and I am a big fan of saving steps. The color I chose is "Dill." It is from the Eddie Bauer© Lakeside Cottage collection. I used an unsanded grout, mixed with the paint and a bit of water, to make the "chalk" paint. The grout color is "magnolia" and is a very dark green. I was happily surprised that it didn't change the color too much.
This tray is painted with the chalk paint. Notice that it is a much brighter color than the chest. There are two reasons for that. When I lightly sanded the chest and wiped it down with a damp cloth, some of the stain dust must have remained on the chest. As I painted the chest, I picked up a bit of the stain in each brush stroke. It toned down the brightness a bit and gave nice depth to the color. Happy accident! I toned it down a bit more by using Valspar© "Mocha" translucent glaze on the dry paint. I brushed the glaze on and then took a cloth and wiped it off; similar to how I would use a stain.
The next step was to lightly distress the piece with a fine grain sandpaper. The final step was hand waxing the entire piece with Minwax© Paste Finishing Wax. I used the Natural color. This photo and the next one show the nice sheen from the wax and some of the lightly distressed areas.
I am really, really happy with this piece. My nephew, who told my husband not to let me do this (see previous post,) changed his mind completely when he saw the way it turned out.
Now, if I could just find that little piece of hardware....
Recipe for chalk paint: For each cup of latex paint, add 1-2 tablespoons unsanded grout. I used a plastic paint bucket with measurement markers to mix the paint. The paint will continue to thicken while you are using it unless you work pretty quickly. Add water as needed to thin the mixture to the consistency you want.
Until next time....